Please read through this entire page as it contains important information about Immigration and obtaining an Aruba Student Resident Permit for Canadian citizens.

For Canadian Citizens attending Xavier University School of Medicine, you do not need a Visa to enter Aruba, but you will need to begin the process of obtaining your Aruba Student Resident Permit. You can start this process now by gathering the required documents, getting them notarized and apostilled.

If you have any questions, please contact the Xavier University School of Medicine Immigration Coordinator, Jeane-Betsy Mackintosh at

Aruba Student Resident Permit Process

    • Complete Cover-to-Cover Color Copy of Passport
      • This includes every detail of the document: the front cover, back cover, and all pages in-between (blank and stamped)
    • 6 Passport Pictures (See required steps below):
        • Have a headshot photo of yourself taken – it should be from the shoulders up, similar to your passport photo.
        • Visit:
          • Upload the headshot photo
          • Select Country: United States
          • Select Document: US Visa 2×2 inch (600×600 px, 51x51mm)
          • Click “Upload photo & Continue” button
        • On the next page, confirm that the photo resolution is good and cropped, as well. Click “Continue to download” button
        • On the next page, enter your credit card information. The servicing cost is $7.00. Include your email address in order to receive the photos.
        • Once your payment has been processed, you can download the photos.
        • Send a copy of your photos directly to: Please note that these photos will be used during your immigration process, as well as, for your Student ID which will be issued to you when you arrive on campus.
    • Police Letter of Good Conduct (Required Certification – Notarize, Authenticate, & Legalize)
      • Original Document required for submission
      • Document should be requested from the local police department or precinct where you have been registered to live over the past 5 years
    • Birth Certificate ((Required Certification – Notarize, Authenticate, & Legalize)
      • Original Documents required for submission 
      • Document must be issued within the past 2 years
        • If your original certificate is older than 2 years – you will need to order an updated certificate
      • Document must contain the names of both your mother and father
      • If you were born outside of Canada, you will need to obtain an original Birth Certificate from the country in which you were born

    Additional Documentation (if applicable):

    • Certificate of Citizenship (Required Certification – Notarize, Authenticate, & Legalize)
      • If you are a Canadian citizen that was born in a different country, you will need to submit your original Certificate of Citizenship document.
      • As an alternative, you may obtain a true certified copy of the document, which would be required to be notarized and apostilled.
    • Marriage Certificate (Required Certification – Notarize, Authenticate, & Legalize)
    • Divorce Certificate (Required Certification – Notarize, Authenticate, & Legalize)
    • Name Change Certificate (Required Certification – Notarize, Authenticate, & Legalize)

    After all of your documents have been submitted to the Department of Integration and Management of Foreigners (DIMAS), you will receive your VTA (temporary admission to Aruba) within approximately 4-8 weeks.

  • Within 30 days of receiving your VTA – our Immigration Coordinator will then schedule an appointment for you to complete the required testing.
  • Cost of testing: ~ $43
  • Test results will be sent to medical professionals for review, before being forwarded to the health department in Aruba for clearance, and finally – the results will be submitted to DIMAS in order to process your Student Resident Permit.
  • Once the test results are cleared by DIMAS – you will receive your Student Resident Permit within approximately 4 weeks.
  • The permit is valid for one year and the renewal process will take place two months prior to the expiration date. No additional documentation will be required to renew your permit, and our Immigration Coordinator will contact you in order to complete the necessary forms for renewal.
  • After you receive your Student Resident Permit, our Immigration Coordinator will contact you with instructions on how to register at the Census. This will need to be completed within two weeks of receiving your permit.
  • When you receive your census paper – you will then be eligible to register for the local health insurance in Aruba.


  • Notarize – This step requires you to take the document to a Notary Public, who will affix their seal and signature on the document, certifying that they have witnessed the signature and that it is legitimate.
  • Authenticate – This step is completed by the Department of Foreign Affairs which verifies that the seal and signature on the documents are from a licensed notary public and in good standing.
  • Legalize – This step is completed by the Dutch embassy or consulate. A consular official will confirm that the document is prepared appropriately and will verify that the certificate of authentication affixed by the Department of Foreign Affairs is correct. The embassy or consulate will affix the certificate of legalization on the already notarized and authenticated document, typically in the form of a sticker on the back of the document.
    • These processes may be completed on your own according to the guidelines listed above, OR, you may opt to utilize a service that will complete them for you. The below contact information is for an agency that we personally recommend since current students have worked alongside them before. You will need to contact them directly and request more information on the service and fees. You will also need to specify that the documents will need to be processed in the Dutch Embassy.
    • ALSC – Authentication Legalization Services Canada:

Important Information Regarding Documentation:

  • If any of the required documents are in a different language than English, you will need to have a certified translation attached in addition to the original document being notarized and apostilled. 
  • All documents requiring certification must be notarized and apostilled separately. 
  • You should begin gathering your documents 3 months prior to your semester start date.
Click here for a list of Dutch embassies