We Welcome Aspiring Medical Students from Canada to XUSOM
Each year, XUSOM welcomes students from Canada to medical school. We enjoy hearing from students in Canada who look forward to continuing their medical careers back up north after receiving their medical education at XUSOM. Canadian students comprise about six percent of the XUSOM student body, and that figure is expected to grow because our Canadian graduates are successfully matching into residency programs and continuing on to practice medicine in Canada as well as the United States.
XUSOM is the school of choice for Canadians seeking a medical education outside of Canada.
Canadian students are attracted to XUSOM for all the same reasons that draw students from the U.S. and other countries—but the following reasons stand out:
- XUSOM’s incredibly strong track record of securing a second opportunity for non-traditional students.
- XUSOM’s tuition structure, which fits in with the financial resources available to Canadian students, both for provincial loans and private sources of funding.
Xavier University School of Medicine accepts student loans issued through the Canadian government. The Government of Canada, and most provincial or territorial governments, work together to deliver federal and provincial student loan and grant programs. We encourage Canadian applicants to apply for loans through their local governments. Information can be found at the links below, but please don’t hesitate to contact our Student Finance department (firstname.lastname@example.org) with additional questions.
When applying for a loan to XUSOM, please reference our school code: ZPAO
For applicants living in British Columbia, submit an application with StudentAidBC:
For general information regarding Canadian student loan programs, please visit the CanLearn website here:
If you are applying from another Canadian province, or have any other questions, please feel free to contact our Student Finance department for further assistance
Student Loan Program Available to Current, New, & Transfer Students
This Student Loan Program is offered by TD Bank (Canada):
Their Cross-Border Student Package allows students to move money from Canada to the US for free, as well as pay any fees (tuition, registration, housing, living expenses, etc.) online from Canada.
Caribbean medical school students can have a Canadian-based student account (no fee) at TD Canada Trust, a US-based student account (no fee) at TD Bank, and can then link the two for money movement, payments, etc.
- Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada with good credit.
- Anyone with a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada, as a well-qualified co-borrower/co-signer.
- Maximum Loan (first year): $50,000 CAD
- Aggregate Maximum Loan: $200,000 CAD
- Borrower must be a full-time, currently or newly enrolled student at Xavier University School of Medicine.
- Repayment amount is 1% or $50, whichever is greater; can be deferred for up to 12 months post graduation.
- Interest-only payments are required during school until the repayment period begins.
- Student can continue to access funds during clinical rotations.
- Rate is prime during the entire life of the product.
To apply to this student loan program, please contact the Student Finance Department